I’m on a mission to share useful idea, tips and resources. There are no affiliate links on this page. I hope you find these publications and websites useful! –Laura Lollar
MikeRowe.com: The “Dirty Jobs” guy is on a mission to close the skills gap and promote jobs that do not require a four year education – i.e. the trades. He’s one of my favorites.
Professional Outdoor Media Association: Their mission is to foster excellence in communications at all levels, help members build their businesses, connect media and industry, promote fair and honest communication of the traditional outdoor sports and conservation stories, and mentor the next generation of traditional outdoor sports communicators. Visit ProfessionalOutdoorMedia.org
Range Magazine: an award-winning publication devoted to the issues that threaten the West, its people, lifestyles, lands and wildlife. You can download portions of their most recent issue online for free, but I’d recommend you subscribe. The photography is jaw dropping. Visit RangeMagazine.com
Women’s Outdoor News: The Women’s Outdoor News, aka The WON, features news, reviews and stories about women who are shooting, hunting, fishing and actively engaging in outdoor adventure.
Free Range Report: dedicated to providing an honest and consistent web-based resource for breaking news, analyses, citizen journalism, and editorials related to the issues most important to rural Western families. Human Rights, Statehood Equality, Property Rights, Grazing, Water, Agriculture, Livestock, Hunting, Federal Control of Resources and Lands, and all matters impacting our Environment, Freedom, and Livelihoods. Visit FreeRangeReport.com
Greg Walcher’s Blog: Greg Walcher is one of the most recognized and respected national leaders in natural resources policy. He is a policy adviser to the Heartland Institute, and a fellow at both the American Spectator and the Centennial Institute. He specializes in issues related to energy, water, endangered species and wildlife, forest management, public lands and private property rights. Visit GregWalcher.com
Imprimis Magazine: the free monthly speech digest of Hillsdale College dedicated to educating citizens and promoting civil and religious liberty by covering cultural, economic, political, and educational issues. First published in 1972, Imprimis is one of the most widely circulated opinion publications in the nation with over 3.9 million subscribers. Get your free print monthly subscription. Visit imprimis.hillsdale.edu
Heartland Institute: one of the world’s leading free-market think tanks. It is a national nonprofit research and education organization based in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Its mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems. Visit Heartland.org
Mountain States Legal Foundation: A nonprofit, public interest legal foundation dedicated to individual liberty, the right to own and use property, limited and ethical government, and the free enterprise system that defends constitutional liberties and the rule of law. Visit MountainStatesLegal.org and The Litigator newsletter.
Click here to download I, Pencil (PDF): a simple explanation of the “invisible hand” market force based on production of an ordinary pencil. It was introduced in Adam Smith’s book, The Wealth of Nations.
Hillsdale College Free Online Courses: Hillsdale is a national leader in free online courses averaging more than 1,000 enrollments per day across all courses. “Constitution 101” now has more than 800,000 students around the world. Learn from some of today’s best teacher-scholars in the fields of literature, politics, history, economics, and English.
Jordan Peterson Videos: He will get you thinking. Author of 12 Rules for Life, he’s not afraid to tackle any issue. Irreverent and provocative.
Prager University: Short Videos. Big Ideas. Straight talk. Common sense perspectives.
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS:
- Book Yourself Solid, Michael Port
- Building a Storybrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen, Donald Miller
- Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant by W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, Jordan B. Peterson
- The Second World Wars, Victor Davis Hanson
- Carrots and Sticks Don’t Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT, Paul L. Marciano
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, John M. Gottman, Ph.D.
- It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy, D. Michael Abrashoff
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lencioni
- First, Break All the Rules, Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman
- Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life, Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less, Greg McKeown
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Robert B. Cialdini
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit, Seth Godin
- The Smear: How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News Control What You See, What You Think and How You Vote, Sharyl Attkisson
- Why Scientists Disagree About Global Warming, Craig D. Idso, Robert M. Carter, S. Fred Singer, Heartland Institute
- Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
- The Road to Serfdom, F.A. Hayek and Milton Friedman
- Free to Choose, Milton Friedman and Rose Friedman
- Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses, Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa