I love to share ideas and useful information! So, this page features Resources to help you build leadership, critical thinking, personal growth, resilience, outdoors skills, etc. There are no affiliate links on this page. Scroll down for my Reading List. Bolded titles are links.
Watch the “liked videos” playlist on my YouTube Channel: Each time I find a good one, I’ll add it to that playlist.
Mike Rowe’s Podcast: Mike Rowe believes we are a product of the choices we make. The “Dirty Jobs” guy is on a mission to close the skills gap and promote jobs that do not require a four year degree – i.e. the trades. Also visit MikeRowe.com
My interview with Dr. Doug Butler of Butler Professional Farrier School and author, Essential Principles of Horseshoeing (Audio 17 min) on how he started his school, farrier careers, etc.
The CARLA Concept™ my communication, coaching, problem-solving model.
Wildfire Survivors Tips Booklet (PDF): After losing our home and my business in a Colorado wildfire, I searched for tips to help us start the recovery process. There was none, so I wrote this free tips booklet to help other wildfire survivors cope, AFTER the fire.
Women’s Outdoor News: The Women’s Outdoor News, aka The WON, features news, reviews and stories about women who are shooting, hunting, fishing and actively engaged in outdoor adventure.
Download I, Pencil (PDF): a simple explanation of the “invisible hand” market force based on production of an ordinary pencil. It was introduced in Adam Smith’s book, The Wealth of Nations.
Thoughts on Writing by Thomas Sowell. You can’t go wrong with anything written by Thomas Sowell, Economist, Rose and Milton Friedman Senior Fellow, the Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
Hillsdale College Free Online Courses: Hillsdale is a national leader in free online courses averaging more than 1,000 enrollments per day across all courses. “Constitution 101” now has more than 800,000 students worldwide. Learn from some of today’s best teacher-scholars in the fields of literature, politics, history, economics and English. Visit Hillsdale.edu
Range Magazine: an award-winning publication devoted to issues that threaten the West, its people, lifestyles, lands and wildlife. You can download portions of their most recent issue online for free. The photography is jaw dropping. Visit RangeMagazine.com
Jordan B. Peterson’s YouTube Videos: One of the greatest thinkers of our time, courageous, insightful.
Reason TV on YouTube: “Investigative stories about the bureaucrats and busybodies fighting for control over our lives. Hear independent opinions that don’t abide by tiresome left-right, liberal-conservative world views and talking points.”
Greg Walcher’s Blog: Greg Walcher is one of the most recognized and respected national leaders in natural resources policy. He is a policy adviser to the Heartland Institute and a fellow at the American Spectator and Centennial Institute. He specializes in issues related to energy, water, endangered species and wildlife, forest management, public lands and private property rights. Visit GregWalcher.com
Imprimis Magazine: this free monthly speech digest of Hillsdale College is dedicated to educating citizens and promoting civil and religious liberty by covering cultural, economic, political, and educational issues. Imprimis is one of the most widely circulated opinion publications in the nation with over 3.9 million subscribers. Visit imprimis.hillsdale.edu
Mountain States Legal Foundation: A nonprofit, public interest legal foundation dedicated to individual liberty, the right to own and use property, limited and ethical government, and the free enterprise system that defends constitutional liberties and the rule of law. Visit MountainStatesLegal.org and The Litigator newsletter.
Hix Video: Robert Hix is a business video producer, editor and content strategist. He produces broadcast-quality LIVE programming for businesses and brands. Smart, principled and a top-notch video creator.
Safety, Health and Asset Protection Management Essentials, edited by Richard W. Lack (See Chapter 36 on Communication Skills by yours truly before my name change.)
Politics, Government, Foreign Affairs:
- The Hundred Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower, Michael Pillsbury
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As Though Your Life Depended On It, Christopher Voss
- Grateful American by Gary Sinise
- It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy, D. Michael Abrashoff
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lencioni
- First, Break All the Rules, Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman
- Carrots and Sticks Don’t Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT, Paul L. Marciano
- Winning, Jack Welch with Suzy Welch
Economics & Prosperity:
- The Millionaire Mind, Thomas J. Stanley
- Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money, Rabbi Daniel Lapin
- Free to Choose, Milton Friedman and Rose Friedman
- The Road to Serfdom, F.A. Hayek and Milton Friedman
- Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
Health & Wellness:
- I Am Not Sick I Don’t Need Help: How to Help Someone with Mental Illness Accept Treatment, Xavier Amador
- Marijuana is More Dangerous Than You Think, Alex Berenson
Personal Growth & Self-Improvement:
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, Jordan B. Peterson (this is a great book, but it’s dense, so be prepared)
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, John M. Gottman, Ph.D.
- Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life, Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less, Greg McKeown
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Robert B. Cialdini
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit, Seth Godin
- Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill
- It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want to Be, Paul Arden
- Scientific Advertising, Claude Hopkins (a classic)
- Book Yourself Solid, Michael Port
- Building a Storybrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen, Donald Miller
- Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant by W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne
- The Second World Wars, Victor Davis Hanson
- The Savior Generals: How Five Great Commanders Saved Wars That Were Lost – From Ancient Greece to Iraq, Victor Davis Hanson
- Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses, Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa