Education, investigative journalism, articles, books, videos, free online courses, etc. No affiliate links on this page. I update this page often.
Wildfire Survivors Tips: After we lost our home and my business in a 2013 wildfire, I created a booklet of tips to help other wildfire survivors recover. Free downloadable PDF. The ebook will be available shortly.
Videos on my YouTube Channel: my “liked” videos, interviews and perspectives on leadership, negotiation, personal influence, etc.
CabinMama.com: just for fun – humor, woodsy wisdom, outdoors adventures by yours truly.
The CARLA Concept: my simple 5-step model to improve communication skills, coaching, problem solving, issue resolution, change management, etc.
Charles Poncelow Sermons: Chuck’s sermons will give you new insights into Scripture. The 20181209 sermon is one of my favorites.
Mike Rowe Works Foundation: “Our crumbling infrastructure, our widening skills gap, the disappearance of vocational education, and the stratospheric rise in college tuition—these are not problems,” Mike said. “These are symptoms of what we value. And right now, we have to reconnect the average American with the value of a skilled workforce. Only then, will the next generation aspire to do the work at hand.”
Range Magazine: an award-winning publication devoted to issues that threaten the West, its people, lifestyles, lands and wildlife. I’ve been a subscriber for years and given gift subscriptions to friends and family. Jaw-dropping photography, hard-hitting and heart-warming articles. Please support them and subscribe!
Greg Walcher’s Blog: Greg Walcher is one of the most recognized and respected national leaders in natural resources policy. He is President of the Natural Resources Group, serves as a senior associate in a global public affairs firm, The Stillwell Group, and is a senior advisor to the respected environmental permitting firm of Dawson and Associates. He is also a policy adviser to the Heartland Institute, and a fellow at both the American Spectator and the Centennial Institute. He specializes in issues related to energy, water, endangered species and wildlife, forest management, public lands and private property rights.
Free Range Report: breaking news, analyses, citizen journalism, and editorials related to the issues most important to rural Western families. Our focus is on Human Rights, Statehood Equality, Property Rights, Grazing, Water, Agriculture, Livestock, Hunting, Federal Control of Resources and Lands, and all matters impacting our Environment, Freedom, and Livelihoods. Read my article on Colorado’s Losing Proposition 112 on costly tradeoffs of the oil and gas setback measure
Hillsdale College Free Online Courses: Hillsdale has become a national leader in free online courses, averaging more than 1,000 enrollments per day across all our courses. And our most popular course—“Constitution 101”—now has more than 800,000 students around the world. Learn from some of today’s best teacher-scholars in the fields of politics, history, economics, and English.
Imprimis: the free monthly speech digest of Hillsdale College, dedicated to educating citizens and promoting civil and religious liberty by covering cultural, economic, political, and educational issues. The content of Imprimis is drawn from speeches delivered at Hillsdale College events. First published in 1972, Imprimis is one of the most widely circulated opinion publications in the nation with over 4.3 million subscribers.
AIER and Bastiat Society: The American Institute for Economic Research educates Americans on the value of personal freedom, free enterprise, property rights, limited government and sound money. AIER’s ongoing scientific research demonstrates the importance of these principles in advancing peace, prosperity and human progress. Free speaker series and lectures in Colorado Springs with chapters throughout the U.S.
Robert Hix Videos: Remote video production to help you market your business. Robert is smart, professional and talented. I highly recommend his services.
CompleteColorado.com: links to news outlets and articles relevant to every Coloradoan.
“Fiction” – Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
Personal Development, Health, Wellness:
- It’s Better Than it Looks: Reasons for Optimism in an Age of Fear, Gregg Easterbrook. In an age of discord and fear-mongering, It’s Better Than It Looks will profoundly change your perspective on who we are, where we’re headed, and what we’re capable of.
- Zero Sugar Diet, David Zinczenko with Stephen Perrine. Lose belly fat and reduce your risk for diabetes, depression and Alzheimers by choosing foods with little or no “added sugar” – this book will change your life.
- This Naked Mind (Control Alcohol): Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life, Annie Grace. Friends who have read this book swear by it.
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less, Greg McKeown. One of the best books I’ve ever read if you want to simplify your life.
- Boundaries: When to Say YES, When to Say NO to Take Control of Your Life, Dr. Henry Cloud, Dr. John Townsend
- 12 Rules for Life, Jordan Peterson. This book is good, but it’s dense, so take it in chunks.
- Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness and Violence, Alex Berenson. Watch his CSPAN interview.
- Restoring the Promise: Higher Education in America, Richard K. Vedder. Read or listen to Walter Williams review on this book.
- Academically Adrift, Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, John M. Gottman, Ph.D.
Communication and Leadership
- Never Split the Difference, Christopher Voss, a former FBI hostage negotiator
- It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy, Michael Abrashoff
- First, Break All the Rules, from Gallup Organization. An “oldie but goodie” with some of the best tips ever for employee engagement and sound leadership practices.
- Influence, the Psychology of Persuasion, Robert Cialdini, Ph.D. Ways to help you influence others.
Culture, History, Politics:
- Unfreedom of Speech, Mark Levin
- The Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower, Michael Pillsbury
- The Second World Wars, Victor Davis Hanson
- Why Scientists Disagree About Global Warming, Craig D. Idso, Robert M. Carter, S. Fred Singer
- Anything by Dr. Thomas Sowell, American economist, author and Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Please Stop Helping Us, Jason Riley
- Free to Choose, Milton Friedman
- The Road to Serfdom, Friedrich Hayek
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction, William Zinsser
- On Writing, Stephen King
- Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott
- Book Yourself Solid, Michael Port. One of the best marketing books I’ve ever read.
- Scientific Advertising, Claude Hopkins. A classic.
- Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space, W. Chan Kim & Renée Mauborgne. Step-by-step strategies to differentiate yourself and/or your business.